The perfect DSLR movie setup under $2500
Following my previous post on Top DSLRs of 2013 I want to share the perfect DSLR movie setup under $2500.
Here are my pics:
Canon 7D Body – Price $1,549.00
features (via Amazon)
- 18.0-megapixel CMOS Sensor and Dual DIGIC 4 Image Processors for high image quality and speed
- Body only; lenses sold separately. Advanced HD movie mode with manual exposure control and selectable frame rates
- Intelligent Viewfinder with 100 percent field of view; 19-point, all cross-type AF system equipped with dual diagonal cross-type sensors
- Capture images to CF Card Type I and II, UDMA-compliant CF cards (not included)
- What’s in the box: EOS 7D Digital SLR Body, Eyecup Eg, Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS7D, Stereo AV Cable AVC-DC400ST,USB Interface Cable IFC-200U,Battery Pack LP-E6, Battery Charger LC-E6, EOS Digital Solution Disk, Great Photography is Easy” Booklet and “Do More with Macro” Booklet,Software Instruction Manual
If you are not an experienced photographer you could say that the $2500 is more than enough for this project. But what you don’t know is that a DSLR without a set of nice lenses is just as good as a compact camera. I’m going to share a secret: in order to record great movies you need get the best possible lens for video filming.
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens – Price $399.00
features (via Amazon):
- 50mm standard lens with f/1.4 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras
- 2 high-refraction lens elements and Gaussian optics help eliminate astigmatism
- Delivers crisp images with little flare at the maximum aperture
- Extra-small Micro USM focus adjustment and full-time manual focusing
- Measures 2.9 inches in diameter and 2 inches long; 1-year warranty
If you’ll use this setup (Canon 7d + 50mm lens) you’ll get staggering videos for your project. Here is an example:
Canon 7D & Canon 50mm F1.4 lowlight HD videos
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens – Price $377.00
features (via Amazon)
- 28-135mm standard zoom lens with f/3.5-5.6 maximum aperture for Canon SLR cameras
- Delivers sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without requiring flash or tripod
- Ring-type USM adjustment system for swift, silent autofocusing and full-time manual focus
- Close focusing distance of 20 inches; 75- to 18-degree diagonal angle of view
- Measures 3.1 inches in diameter and 3.8 inches long; weighs 18.9 ounces; 1-year warranty
“The USM focuses fast, and the Image Stabilization (IS) really works. In fact, I’ve been spoiled by it, and IS is now a must for any of the longer lenses I might purchase in the future.” said a review on Amazon.
Here is an example of Canon 7D + Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens setup:
Additional equipment: you need to buy a memory card, lens hood, UV filter and maybe a video stabilizer for DSLRs.
ps. And remember that DSLR camera or lenses don’t make the movie — you do.